I always find it just fascinating that we always have these jokes against marriage - for example, just looked these up:
1. Marriage is when a man and woman become as one. The trouble starts when they try to decide which one.
2. Grooms, once you get married remember that when you have a discussion with your future wife, always get the last two words in: "Yes, dear."
3. My wife gave birth four times and still fits in her prom dress from high school. I gave birth 0 times and I haven't fit in my pants since March.
4. Marriage is like going to a restaurant. You order what you want, then when you see what the other person has, you wish you had ordered that.
5. When a newly married man looks happy, we know why. But when a ten-year married man looks happy, we wonder why.
... and we all know more. We've heard them all our lives. All our sitcoms with married couples are all about how they gripe and snipe at each other.
... and we wonder, then, why there is so much divorce.
It's not the gays ruining our marriages. It's a culture of toxicity toward marriage, like these jokes, that ruin marriage.
... and don't even get me STARTED on the church. The church can go on and on and on all they want about how homosexuality has ruined marriage, but the church has - for DECADES - had divorce classes. LONG BEFORE gay marriage. So the Church knows full well that marriage was in decline, and has even contributed to the decline - because the prevalence of "divorce recovery" instead of the focus on healing hurting marriages has also contributed to the decline of marriages within the church.
When believers know, even subconsciously, that if they divorce their spouse, that somehow their church will help them through it, that gives them yet another thought that the devil uses to compel them to their decisions to destroy their marriage.
Post a Comment